June 22, 2009

the taste of summer

Lemon is a perfect summer flavor. It's light and refreshing, whether in a savory dish or included in a dessert. I made this Lemon Pudding Cake last night. It's great except for the hot oven, so I like to bake things at night during the summer, when possible. Delish!

It's from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (1996). I really like Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. They are basic yet have a wide variety of recipes, which is useful as I pare down my cookbook collection. I searched on the B.H.&G. website for this recipe, to no avail, so here it is:

Lemon Pudding Cake

1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (I used all the lemon peel)
3 tablespoons lemon juice (used all the lemon juice)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted (used butter)
2 slightly beaten egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 egg whites

Combine sugar & flour. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice & melted butter. Combine egg yolks & milk. Add to flour mixture; stir just till combined. Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into lemon batter. Transfer batter to a 1-quart casserole. Place the casserole in a large pan on an oven rack. Pour hot water into the large pan surrounding the casserole to a depth of 1 inch.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree (Farenheit) oven about 40 minutes or till golden & top springs back when lightly touched near the center. Remove casserole dish from the water bath & cool just until warm. Best served when warm.
Makes 4 servings.


Just look at that delectable pudding juxtaposed against soft crumbly cake. It's such a pretty pastel yellow.
My Darling Husband taste tested it last night.
This evening he was out, and I was left alone with the pudding cake.
I tried to save some for you, Darling Husband.
Really I did.
But my sweet tooth got the better of me.
Guess I'll have to make more!

No comments:

Post a Comment